Who can apply
- You can apply for yourself, or for your spouse.
- If you received your marriage certificate in Israel, and are interested in updating your marital status and your last name, you must do so in person - your spouse cannot do so on your behalf.
- If both of you have chosen a new name together, you must both update your marital status and names together.
- If your marriage or divorce certificate was granted abroad, both you and your spouse must apply to update your status together at an authority office or Israeli mission abroad.
What you need
- Both spouses ID cards and appendices.
- If you are submitting the application at an Israeli mission abroad, you must bring your Israeli passport.
- Your Israeli passport (if you have been issued one).
- Your original marriage or divorce certificate. If the certificate was issued abroad, it must be authorized and verified (with an apostille seal in countries where this is available), notarized and translated to Hebrew (certificates in English and Arabic do not need to be translated).
The service is free of charge
How to apply
Print and fill in the Change of marital status form and submit it in person at your local Population and Immigration Authority office or local Israeli mission abroad.
When you update your marital status in the population registry, you will be issued a new ID appendix.
This service and forms are provided in Hebrew. If you don’t speak Hebrew seeking assistance from a Hebrew speaker is recommended.