The National Physics Laboratory holds the Israeli standards for measuring length, mass, temperature, electric voltage and resistance, pressure, vacuum, quantities of material, and time. It is also responsible for calibrating the equipment used for measurement purposes by all labs that provide services for the Israeli industry and trade in order to guarantee that they consistently comply with national and international standards.
Roles and responsibilities:
• Calibrating equipment used by calibration and inspection labs that serve Israel's industries and trade.
• Comparing Israeli measurement standards with those used in countries that have signed the Meter Convention in order to ensure consistency.
• Developing new standards, such as systems that measure acidity and conductivity in solutions, etc.
• Comparing various forms of measurement, calibration and inspection in laboratories in Israel.
• Serving as the exclusive representative of the State of Israel in the international BIPM organization, responsible for implementing the Meter Convention. Also active in other national and international organizations responsible for measurements, calibration and inspections.