The Israel Prison Service is responsible for various prison alternatives such as community service and house arrest, as well as supervision over sex offenders and electronic monitoring. The Israel Prison Service also fulfills a social mission within the criminal justice system by enhancing offenders’ potential for successful reintegration into society while ensuring them a safe, secure, and humane incarceration environment. This includes respecting their dignity and accommodating their basic needs, as well as providing them with rehabilitative services in collaboration with other government agencies and community organizations.
The Israel Prison Service operates 33 prison facilities throughout the country and employs over 9,200 staff members.
Areas of Operation:
- Safe Custody – effective supervision of inmates inside and outside of prisons in order to prevent escapes and to protect inmates physical and mental well-being
- Proper Custody – improving living conditions through optimal utilization of resources and development of prison alternatives
- Corrections – effectively treating offenders in order to enable them to successfully reintegrate into society
- Crime Prevention – minimizing the level of crime generated from within prison, as part of the ongoing fight against crime in Israel
- Human Resources – perceiving the staff as the key to improved performance in a changing and challenging environment and thus developing better training for staff
- Technology – utilizing technology to improve the work of the Israel Prison Service