all government
Home Page
Ministrise And Authorities
Subjects Welcome to the Israel Government Portal
 Israeli Government Portal   Guides   Working In Israel   Salary, Benefits and Working Conditions   
Guide for Migrant Workers
Coming to work in Israel
Salary, Benefits and Working Conditions
Frequently Asked Questions
Migrant Workers' Assistance
Everyday Life in Israel
  A migrant worker in Israel is entitled to the same working conditions as an Israeli employee, including private health insurance and proper housing provided by the employer. This section features all you need to know about labor conditions: working hours, salary, taxes, benefits, and more. These are only minimum requirements and you may be offered better terms
Written contract and wage slip

Your employer must provide you with a written copy of your employment contract in a language that you understand. The contract should include the following details:

 Your name and name of the employer
 Job description
 Beginning and length of employment period
 Salary, payment dates and deductions
 Working hours and rest days
 Paid vacations, holidays and sick days
 Details of health insurance and housing

Your employer must also provide you, each month, with a detailed wage slip featuring all payments and deductions from your wages.
The law does not require private employers in the Caregiving field to issue a wage slip. However it is highly recommended that said employer will issue a wage slip and will supply their employee with a copy (with number of work hours detailed). This may prevent disagreements.

back to top
Working Hours, Vacations and Holidays

A 24 hour work day is not legal in any profession. A working day is usually 8 hours long including breaks during those 8 hours. You are also entitled to breaks between two working days and two working weeks.
In the caregiving field different arrangement are possible and those may vary. Therefore, in this field it is advised to reach an understanding with your employer on working and rest hours, and on your wage for working on rest hours.

You are entitled to a weekly rest period of at least 36 hours - on Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday, depending on your religion.

You are entitled to 14-21 days of paid vacation each year, depending on the number of years you have been with the same employer. Vacation is given either at the end of the year or in the course of the following year.

After working for 3 months for an employer you are also entitled to 9 paid religious holidays a year according to your religion or the Jewish calendar, as you choose. You must inform your employer on the religious holidays you plan on taking.

You are entitled to 150% pay and an optional vacation day if you worked during a holiday. Caregivers are entitled to payment for working during holidays from day one.

 Detailed information on Jewish holidays
 List of holiday dates 2010-2012
 Israeli Labor Laws

back to top
 The monthly minimum wage is 4,300NIS (hourly: 23.12)
 Payday: no later than the 9th of the following month

You are entitled to overtime pay after 9 hours (in a 5-day workweek) or after 8 hours (in a 6-day workweek). For the first two hours of overtime each day, payment is 125% of the regular hourly wage; for each additional hour, the rate is 150% of the regular hourly wage.

It is recommended that you keep a record of your working hours for future dealings with your employer.

Live-in caregivers are not entitled to overtime pay; however, their minimum wage is 30% higher than the regular minimum wage (NIS 4823 monthly). A caregiver is also entitled to a weekly rest day (36 hours), paid vacation days and paid holidays.

back to top
Other Benefits

Travel Allowance: Should you require transportation to get to your workplace, you are entitled to travel allowance in addition to your salary. The allowance will not exceed 25.20 NIS per day or the cost a prepaid monthly bus ticket. If the employer arranges for transportation for you, on their expense, or if you reside near your workplace, only then are you not entitled for travel allowance.

Recuperation Pay: Once you have completed a year of work for the same employer, you are entitled to recuperation pay (in Hebrew: demey havra’a) from your employer. The daily rate is 370 NIS multiplied by 5-7 days (depending on the length of the employment period). Recuperation pay is paid once a year between June and September.

Grant for Construction Workers: If you work in construction for an employment agency (Licensed Manpower Company), your employer should deposit a monthly sum of NIS 700 for you in a special account. You will receive the money (minus 15% income tax) when you leave Israel permanently, on condition that this is before your visa expires.

For updated sums see the Foreign Workers’ Rights Handbook.

back to top
Deductions from salary

Your employer may deduct the following sums from your salary:

Income tax is deducted from your salary by the employer and transferred to the tax authorities. The employer should not deduct from your salary any fees imposed on him for your employment. 

National Insurance (In Hebrew: Bituach Leumi) fees are deducted from your salary and cover the following:
 Work-related injuries
 Sick pay and maternity allowance
 Unpaid wages or severance pay in case your employer goes bankrupt (see below)

The rate of national insurance deduction is 0.04% for the first NIS 4,430 of your salary, and 0.87% of every shekel above NIS 4,430.

You may find detailed information on National Insurance benefits and deductions on the National Insurance Institute website.

Housing and Health Insurance: additional deductions include housing expenses and health insurance costs. Your employer may also deduct from your salary sums that you owe them (such as loans and recruitment fees), but only if you agree to it in writing.

Note: your employer is required to pay the authorities various fees for the right to employ migrant workers. The employer should not deduct any such fees from your salary.

The overall deduction cannot exceed 25% of your salary.

Your employer is legally (Hebrew) obliged to arrange accommodation for you. The law (Hebrew) further details the required standards and costs of employees’ residence.

back to top

Your employer should provide you with proper housing for the entire employment period and a minimum of seven days after the end of employment.

The minimum standards for your residence are:
 Four square meters of sleeping space per worker
 No more than six workers in one room
 Personal cupboard and bedding for each worker
 Heating and ventilation
 Reasonable lighting
 Electric outlets in each room
 Hot and cold water in the bathroom, kitchen and showers
 Sinks, kitchen counters and cupboards, burners, refrigerator, table and chairs
 A Washing machine for 6 workers
 Fire extinguisher
 Reasonable access to the living quarters as well as to bathrooms

Your employer may deduct housing expenses from your salary, the amount depends on the geographical area:

 Jerusalem – NIS 368.33
 Tel Aviv – NIS 419.13
 Haifa – NIS 279.46
 Center – NIS 279.46
 South – NIS 248.42
 North – NIS 228.59

If the employer owns the residence, the maximum deduction is half of the above sums.

The employer may also deduct related expenses (Hebrew), such as property tax and water and electricity charges; the deduction cannot exceed NIS 89.34 (or NIS 76.81 for live-in caregivers).

back to top forum forum

Need information about local government services? The team will answer your questions online forum  
Exchange Rate
Last Update: 2/08/2016
Bank Of Israel...
Currency Converter